Storylines: Goldschmidt could be done for 2014
Arizona may be without slugger for remainder of season.
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, August 3rd.
- Nick Piecoro of AZCentral.com reported that Diamondbacks slugger Paul Goldschmidt will likely miss the rest of the season due a fractured hand suffered after being hit by pitch from Pirates reliever Ernesto Frieri.
- The Padres are expected to hire a new general manager this week, according to Scott Miller of Turner Sports and FOX Sports San Diego. Miller noted that Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler and Rangers assistant A.J. Preller are still in the mix for the job.
- Designated hitter Nick Swisher left Sunday's game with a strained right wrist. Terry Francona said that Swisher will be re-evaluated on Monday.
- Yan Gomes didn't start the last two games because of neck stiffness, but he was feeling well enough to pinch hit late in Sunday's game and remain in the game afterwards.
Others News and Notes
- According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, it is expected that the Cubs and team president Theo Epstein will be all in on Jon Lester during this upcoming offseason.
- Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times wrote that Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman said that if the team had waited until the winter to deal David Price, the return would have been somewhere between "a good bit less to dramatically less."
- Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reported that the Orioles have a high level of interest in signing former closer Jim Johnson, who was released by the A's.
- Mike Carp was claimed off waivers from the Red Sox by the Rangers. To make room on the 40-man roster for Carp, Texas has placed Alexi Ogando on the 60-day disabled list.
- The Rays have released pitchers Erik Bedard and Juan Carlos Oviedo. Both were designated for assignment earlier in the week.
- The Pirates signed veteran utility man Jayson Nix. Pittsburgh designated Dean Anna for assignment to make room on the roster for Nix.
- The Twins confirmed that they have picked up outfielder Jordan Schafer off waivers from the Braves.
- Arizona acquired outfielder Blake Tekkote from the White Sox in exchange for cash.