Storylines: Hanrahan drawing interest from multiple teams
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, April 30th.
- Manager Terry Francona said that the club will wait a little longer to make a decision on if Jason Kipnis' injury will require a trip to the disabled list. Francona also said that he doesn't feel a decision has to be made by Friday, when Cleveland plays next, stating that he believes they have the versatility to get by for a little while if needed. Kipnis did say that he was feeling better Wednesday morning.
Others News and Notes
- According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Rockies, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Tigers are all showing serious interest in free agent reliever Joel Hanrahan.
- Milwaukee suffered another injury Wednesday, although this one may be minor. Starter Matt Garza left his start due to a bruised right thumb suffered while batting during the top half of the 4th inning.
- The Tigers have recalled lefty pitching prospect Robbie Ray to temporarily replace the injured Anibal Sanchez in the Detroit rotation. Ray, 22, was acquired by Detroit from the Nationals in the offseason's Doug Fister trade.
- MLB.com's Tom Singer wrote that the dominance of Pirates' prospect Gregory Polanco at the Triple-A level could actually be hurting him. Singer believes that Pittsburgh may want to first see how Polanco handles adversity before promoting him to the big leagues.
- Rockies' starter Tyler Chatwood left Tuesday night's ballgame with elbow tightness. Manager Walt Weiss doesn't believe it is too serious, but Chatwood did miss a month last season with a similar injury.
- Catcher Miguel Olivo had his contract purchased with the Dodgers. Tim Federowicz was sent to Triple-A to make room for Olivo.
So enough to keep Polanco out long-term? No...but enough that the Pirates were reportedly shopping him this winter and give them some pause in calling Polanco this soon...
Service time and Tabata being signed long-term could also be reasons...