Storylines: Hart says Upton, Gattis are staying put
- Braves GM John Hart was on the radio on Sunday and said the club is not interested in trading Evan Gattis and are toying with the idea of playing him in left field. He also said while the club does not plan to sign Justin Upton to a long term contract extension that they currently have no plans to shop him. Last Friday, it was reported that the Athletics had conversations with the Braves about Upton and Gattis, but has since said that Jeff Samardzija will not be traded to the Braves. It is hard to get a true feel of what the Braves stance on Upton is, but he no doubt will be a big topic of discussion as the Winter Meetings near next Sunday.
Other News and Notes:
- Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports says the Blue Jays are considering signing infielder Alberto Callaspo to fill a need at second base.
- Rosenthal also says that outfielder Torii Hunter is considering signing with the Rangers, Orioles, Mariners, Royals and Twins.
- Rosenthal says the Orioles have had trade talks with the Dodgers about Matt Kemp. The Orioles are exploring options in the event they are unable to resign Nick Markakis and/or Nelson Cruz.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says the Cubs interest in Jon Lester is very real and that the Giants are becoming more serious about him as well. The Yankees and Red Sox are also in the mix.
- Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times says that the Rays roster overhaul this offseason could also see one or both of Matt Joyce or David DeJesus dealt this winter.
- The Athletics continue to discuss a potential trade of Jeff Samardzija to the White Sox, but the Red Sox reportedly also have interest and may be a better fit in a trade with the Athletics.
- Jim Duquette of MLB.com says that Max Scherzer is one of five top free agents who could wait until after the New Year to sign.
- Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says that Andrew Miller is expected to receive a lucrative four-year contract that will be a record for a non-closer relief pitcher. The Yankees are reported to have interest in him.
- Heyman also reports that closer Jonathan Papelbon has generated little trade interest this offseason. His peripherals have been in decline the past few years and he is signed for one more year at $13 million – though has a vesting $13 million option for 2016 if he finishes 48 games in 2015.
- The Indians remain the only team linked to free agent Kendrys Morales this offseason, though Heyman says the Rangers, Royals, Mariners and Blue Jays are possibilities.
- Left-handed pitcher Andrew Albers is drawing interest from several big league clubs after gaining free agent status from his South Korea team.
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.
My Christmas wish list... (Before Winter Mtgs).
Dumping the platoon in RF.
Acq. a full time RF or 3b (Headley) or both.
Acq. another SP.
Acq. a veteran BP arm.
Trade 1 or 2 of...Murphy, Bourn, Swisher and Raburn.