Storylines: Indians could chase Morse or Ludwick
- The Cleveland Indians failed to make the playoffs last season after making it as a wildcard team in 2013. However, according to Paul Hoynes, the Indians will be just fine going into next season and will be a contender again. He sees the Chicago White Sox as needing more impactful pitching to match their power which would likely be built around Avisail Garcia and Jose Abreu. The Detroit Tigers and Kansas City Royals will be hurt by free agency losses and the Minnesota Twins are still trying to find the right pieces after four seasons of at least 92 losses and now a potential new manager in Paul Molitor. Hoynes also believes that once other teams have made their moves in free agency the Indians will set their eyes onMichael Morse, who had a great postseason with the San Francsico Giants, and Ryan Ludwick.
Other News and Notes
- The Philadelphia Phillies and A.J. Burnett have both declined his option for 2015. The option was worth $15MM. He has until later on Monday to exercise his player option which is worth $12.75MM.
- According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Chicago White Sox will have a lot of interest in former Kansas City Royal infielder, Nori Aoki. Aoki hit .285 with 1 HR and 43 RBI this past season.
- Tampa Bay Rays bench coach Dave Martinez is the potential prime candidate to be the next manager.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Arizona Diamondbacks are open to trading catcher Miguel Montero. The team is currently listening to offers. Montero hit .243 with 13 HR and 72 RBI.
- According to George A. King III of the New York Post, the New York Yankees still have interest in Chase Headley whether Alex Rodriguez comes back to the club or not.
- Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reports that the Baltimore Orioles are working on a four year deal for outfielder Nick Markakis.
- The Miami Marlins hope to sign Giancarlo Stanton to a long-term extension before the Winter Meetings begin.
- According to Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune, the Seattle Mariners are targeting Victor Martinez,Billy Butler and Michael Cuddyer once free agency begins.
- Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that top Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada will have a showcase of his talents in Guatemala. All 30 teams will have a representative attend.
The answer is "how many times have the Indians acquired Russell Branyan?" - 5 times on Branyan according to Baseball Reference (including August 29th of this year - where was I when we signed him then?).
2 more and we get a free tank of gas.
Morse would be great. I just wonder how much money and years he'd be looking for. I know he was on the market for a long time last offseason so maybe he'll be a little more realistic this time around.
There is some speculation the Tribe has interest in RH hitting Jung Ho Kang. Kang has a long swing and would need posted by his KBO club. Kang plays SS, but has the arm for RF / 3b. However, there is some question if he will translate to MLB.