Storylines: Indians postseason hopes all but gone
- With a 7-1 loss to the Royals on Tuesday night, the Indians have all but officially been eliminated from the playoffs. The Athletics and Royals both hold a magic number of one on the Indians. The Indians would need to win out and for one of those teams to lose out (and hope the Mariners don’t finish with a better record) in order just to TIE for a playoff spot.
- Outfielder Michael Brantley needs four hits and three RBI to become the third player in franchise history to reach 200 hits, 30 doubles, 100 RBI and 20 stolen bases in one season. If he were to accomplish that feat he would join Hall of Famer Nap Lajoie (1904) and Joe Carter (1986). Only two big leaguers have done it in the past 12 years - Ryan Braun in 2009 and Jacoby Ellsbury in 2011.
- According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, the Braves have offered a permanent GM job to current interim GM John Hart. Hart is reportedly “mulling” over the offer and if he accepts would likely only be in the job for a few years in order to groom assistant GM John Coppolella to take over.
- The Mets have extended GM Sandy Alderson for three years through the 2017 season.
- Yasmany Tomas has still yet to be declared a free agent by Major League Baseball, but he had a workout for teams in the Dominican Republic over the weekend. He has been connected to the Pirates, Phillies, Rangers, Mets, Giants, Yankees, Diamondbacks, Marlins and Padres.
- According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Blue Jays are expected to retain manager John Gibbons for next season.
- Pirates starter Edinson Volquez is interested in re-signing with the Pirates as a free agent and is hoping to secure a multi-year deal.
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.
September 24, 2014 - 2:48 PM EDT
man im so ticked at Francona for these bogus line-ups hes been putting out there. Yan Gomes is the 2nd best hitter on the team and he always bats him at the bottom of the lineup. That had to cost us 1-2 games this year, at least. Thank God we gave so many AB's to Bourn, J ramirez, A Cabrera, J Kipnis and Swisher all of those top of the order ABs. That's sorry, son