Storylines: Injuries piling up for Yankees
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, May 13th.
- Catcher George Kottaras has decided to remain with the Indians and will accept and assignment to Triple-A Columbus.
Others News and Notes
- Yankees' offseason acquisition Carlos Beltran was forced to leave Monday night's ballgame after hyperextending his left elbow. An MRI revealed that Beltran had bone spurs in his elbow.
- The Marlins announced that Tommy John surgery has been recommended for ace Jose Fernandez, but the team has yet to make a final decision.
- After dealing with several arm injuries over the past couple of seasons, Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reported that Jaime Garcia may start for the Cardinals this weekend.
- San Francisco first baseman Brandon Belt is expected to miss at least six weeks after undergoing thumb surgery.
- Twins' outfielder and consensus top prospect Byron Buxton learned that he has re-aggravated his wrist injury and he will miss much of the early part of the season.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports made a correction to his original report on the contract extension offer made by the Astros to outfielder George Springer. According to Rosenthal, the extension offer would have guaranteed Springer just $7.6 million over four years, instead of the $23 million over seven years that was originally reported.
- Rosenthal also said that while talks are not currently going on, the Giants still have some interest in signing third baseman Pablo Sandoval to an extension. Sandoval will be a free agent after this season.
- Houston reliever Jose Cisnero will miss the rest of the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
- The Angels acquired Minor League righty Greg Billo from the Royals in exchange for cash considerations. Billo is 23-years-old and was pitching in Double-A for Kansas City.
- Infielder Chris Getz cleared waivers was outrighted to the Blue Jays' Triple-A affiliate.