Storylines: Josh Johnson falls victim to Tommy John epidemic
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, April 23rd.
- Corey Brock of MLB.com tweeted that Padres starter Josh Johnson will undergo Tommy John surgery. Johnson never took the mound for San Diego after starting the season on the DL with a strained flexor muscle in his right arm.
- Jon Morosi of FOX Sports wrote that changes to the Diamondbacks management could be made as early as this weekend. Morosi believes that Arizona's slow start could put manager Kirk Gibson's and general manager Kevin Towers' job in jeopardy sooner rather than later.
- More bad news for Arizona: Outfielder Mark Trumbo underwent an MRI on his left foot and it showed an apparent stress fracture. According to the club, Trumbo will seek a second opinion.
- The Indians are attempting another third base experiment. The club plans on having first base prospectJesus Aguilar play third base every ten days or so in an attempt to see if he could be a Major League option at the hot corner. Aguilar played some third during the Winter Ball season out of necessity.
- Cleveland and Detroit announced that their make-up game for the postponed April 15th game will be part of a day-night doubleheader in Detroit on July 19th. The start times of the games are 1:08 PM and 7:08 PM Eastern times.
Others News and Notes
- Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times wrote that Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw is set to begin a Minor League rehab assignment.
- MLB.com's Alex Espinoza wrote that the A's have rejected a 10-year lease offer to remain in O.co Coliseum. Oakland's current lease runs through the 2015 season.
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com tweeted that former NBA star Tracy McGrady has made the Sugarland Skeeters roster. McGrady will pitch for the Skeeters who play in the Independent League.
- First baseman Travis Ishikawa has elected free agency after being outrighted to Triple-A by the Pirates. Pittsburgh designated Ishikawa for assignment following the acquisition of Ike Davis.
- Texas acquired outfielder Dan Robertson from the Padres in exchange for cash considerations.
- The Royals released reliever Cory Wade from Triple-A Omaha.
Sucks for Johnson and Padres...though not that surprised he went down with an injury. A guy I know many on here wanted but glad we stayed away (Padres gave him way too much guaranteed money IMO).