Storylines: Kemp could be dealt at Winter Meetings
- Rumors continue to swirl on a potential Matt Kemp trade, and the Mariners, Padres and Orioles are the heaviest suitors. Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that the Mariners and Dodgers were close to a deal as the Dodgers would pay about half of the $105 million owed for Kemp the next five years but the deal hit a snag when the Dodgers insisted on Taijuan Walker or James Paxton be included in the deal.
Other News and Notes:
- Jon Heyman reports that at least two teams have offered Jon Lester at least $130 million. The Red Sox, Cubs, Giants and Dodgers are all vying for his services, and he is expected to be a big free agent splash signing during the Winter Meetings this week.
- Heyman also notes that the Angels have made C.J. Wilson available for trade. The feeling is they are trying to clear some payroll for a potential big free agent splash on a pitcher.
- Heyman also says the Braves have some interest in Stephen Drew to play second base for them.
- Ken Rosenthal reports that the Nationals plan to make another extension offer to Jordan Zimmerman who can be a free agent after the 2015 season.
- Rosenthal also reports that the Mariners have really stepped up their efforts to sign Melky Cabrera and talks are very serious.
- Buster Olney reports that the Astros continue to court late inning bullpen help. After falling just short in landing Andrew Miller, they may be the favorites to sign David Robertson.
- Chase Headley says he would prefer to resign with the Yankees and the feeling appears to be mutual with the Yankees. The Marlins and Giants are also interested in him, but at this point the favorites to sign him have to be the Yankees.
- The Mets have some starting pitching that they could look to deal as any of Bartolo Colon, Jon Niese or Dillon Gee could be traded this offseason. GM Sandy Alderson says that any such trades probably won’t be considered until later in offseason once the free agent starting pitching market dries up and teams look at the trade route to fill needs.
- The Yoenis Cespedes trade rumors continue to swirl. There are reports that the Tigers and Red Sox might complete a Cespedes for Rick Porcello swap. Also, the Padres and Red Sox have reportedly discussed a Cespedes for Ian Kennedy swap.
- Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald says the Red Sox may enter into the Max Scherzer sweepstakes if they lose out on Jon Lester.
- Korean shortstop Jung-Ho Kang is expected to be posted this week.
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.
Sherman also notes the Tribe (reportedly) has interest in Justin Upton. My question is: who doesn't?
The Moss will make a decision by (fill in the date).. seems to have come and gone.. Who was that who gave us that tidbit?.. oh, wait..it doesn't appear as if the inside information had any source.. Agent? other?. If a deal with the A's does come to pass.. and it still might, the return for Moss being Wendle would be fine.. If the A's want a more ready for the show kind of player.. I wouldn't mind bringing back Drew Pomeranz as a spot start/LHRP... We'll see...
The Padres need a new SS, and have some good pitching (Kennedy, Cashner, Ross) available. I look for them to get a SS this week, possibly by trade.
Sounds like Kang might be posted next week. Word is he's drawing attention from clubs like the Mets, Giants, Padres, and other unnamed clubs.
I suspect the winning bid could cost around $5-$8M, it's hard to gage bc it takes one club that thinks he's got legit power that translates. Fwiw, I have read he hit some big hrs, in other words they weren't line drive shots that barely cleared the fence. I've read, some speculation that the winning bid for Kang will be around $5M with the player salary landing around 4yrs / $12M.
Regardless,I'm like his versatility, and RH power. Id like to see the Tribe go get him (at that cost maybe a bit higher) even if they add Alex Rios, and Brandon Moss this week.
Still think a team in need of an immediate option could do worse.