Storylines: Kluber throws first career shutout against Seattle Mariners
- Corey Kluber continues his solid season and proves once again why he is the ace of the Tribe. Justin Mastersonwas originally seen as the top dog in the rotation but his struggles throughout the season were well documented and it ultimately led to him being traded to the St. Louis Cardinals earlier today. Kluber is coming off a game against the Kansas City Royals in which he was almost perfect. However he ended up getting the no decision after a near flawless game. He brought that same momentum against the Seattle Mariners tonight as he only needed 85 pitches to get the complete game shutout and win. His two-seamer was unhittable and his breaking ball dropped off of the screen every time. The high socks definitely had no effect on the performance of Kluber. He is 3rd in the league this year in strikeouts with 170. That is one spot below his opponent tonight, Felix Hernandez. Kluber is 11-6 with a 2.61 ERA. I don’t think the MLB will be snubbing Kluber from anymore all-star games anytime soon if these performances keep up.
- Justin Masterson has been traded to the St. Louis Cardinals for outfielder James Ramsey. Masterson was scheduled to start Friday against the Texas Rangers. This trade comes based on his struggles this year and after giving up 5 runs and 6BB in AAA last Friday. The trade saves the Indians $3 million.
Other News and Notes
- According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, The New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers both have interest in righty reliever/closer, Joaquin Benoit.
- Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that Texas Rangers outfielder Alex Rios is drawing interest from four teams. The Cleveland Indians are said to possibly be one of them.
- According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Los Angeles Dodgers have backed off of any possible trades for starting pitching. They originally had interest in David Price and Jon Lester but the asking price of their top prospects is too much.
- Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that third basemen Eric Chavez of the Arizona Diamondbacks has retired. Chavez has not played since June due to knee issues. In 17 years Chavez has a .268 BA with 260 homeruns and 902 RBI’s. He is a six time Gold Glove winner and one-time Silver Slugger.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Indians are showing interest in Boston Red Sox righty, John Lackey.
- Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Houston Astros are trying to move first basemen/DH,Chris Carter.
- Jayson Stark of ESPN reports that the Seattle Mariners are out on a trade for Philadelphia Phillies outfielder,Marlon Byrd. However the New York Yankees are showing interest.
- Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports that Chicago White Sox righty setup man Nate Jones has underwentTommy John surgery. He originally was on the DL for a back injury but tore his UCL after increasing his recovery workouts.
- According to Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, the Colorado Rockies are not going to trade starters Brett Anderson or Jorge De La Rosa.
- Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that the Boston Red Sox and Baltimore Orioles had discussions on a possible trade for lefty ace Jon Lester but talks have died down.
- The Boston Red Sox have traded lefty Felix Doubrout to the Chicago Cubs for a PTBNL.
- According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, the San Francisco Giants have optioned outfielderTyler Colvin to AAA and are undecided on what to do with second basemen, Dan Uggla.
- Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Minnesota Twins will not be trading outfielder,Josh Willingham.
- According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Los Angeles Dodgers are not taking offers for Matt Kemp and he will remain with the team for the rest of the season.
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Cincinnati Reds have made former Indians outfielder Ryan Ludwick available for trade.
July 31, 2014 - 10:41 AM EDT
Very interesting trade deadline compared to years past. Less than 6 hrs to go. Hope there are more trades to come and hopefully today is the last day that Cabrera is an Indian. Indians can get by with Aviles/Ramirez until its Lindor time.
July 31, 2014 - 10:20 AM EDT
Didn't see that one coming. Who can beat the A's starters now, but they have up a lot for them.
July 31, 2014 - 10:00 AM EDT
Lester finally traded to A's along with Johnny Gomes for Cespedes. Wow!!!