Storylines: Lester continues to be object of affection for teams
- There have been numerous trade rumors and speculation all year of different players that could possibly be moved by the trade deadline even as the season began. One of the biggest names mentioned was Tampa Bay Rays ace, David Price. The lefty is one of the best pitchers in all of baseball. In only seven years Price is 82-46 with a 3.18 ERA and 1,059 strikeouts. He leads the league this year in strikeouts with 183. However, with the Rays nine game win streak coming to an end, many believe he will be taken off of the trading block. The Rays have said they will still listen to offers. In comes Jon Lester of the Boston Red Sox. He has been the second best lefty pitcher to Price in all of baseball this year. In nine years Lester is 110-63 with a 3.64 ERA and 1,386 strikeouts. He is 8th this year in total strikeouts with 149. The demand for Lester has risen over the past few days as word came out that the Red Sox would potentially trade the soon to be free agent. Demand is so high that AAA righty Brandon Workman will start in his place on Wednesday night against the Toronto Blue Jays. The Braves, Brewers, Cardinals, Pirates Dodgers, Orioles, Blue Jays and Marlins have all been linked to Lester, and his acquisition will no doubt help the odds from the Paddy Power sports betting app to determine who is the favorite to win the World Series.
- Justin Masterson is scheduled to be activated off of the DL on Friday. If he is not traded by then he will start against the Texas Rangers. Masterson has not started since July 7th in a loss to the New York Yankees.
- As the deadline nears, the Indians are not expected to be major buyers; however, players such asAsdrubal Cabrera and Justin Masterson could possibly be traded in the right deal.
- Carlos Santana attributes his move to first base as to why he went on a hot streak in the past week.
Other News and Notes
- According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, the Boston Red Sox have shown interest in Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp. The Dodgers also have interest in Red Sox starter righty John Lackey.
- Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Kansas City Royals have interest in Boston Red Sox lefty reliever Andrew Miller. They are one of many teams with serious interest.
- Cuban defector Rusney Castillo worked out for the Philadelphia Phillies on Tuesday. He also has workouts scheduled for the Boston Red Sox and Seattle Mariners. He is a center fielder said to have decent power and could be the next greatest player from there just like Yasiel Puig and Jose Abreuthough he is not rumored to have a major power bat.
- According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Oakland Athletics have shown interest in reacquiring outfielder Sam Fuld.
- Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the San Diego Padres have DFA’d lefty pitcher Jason Lane. Shortstop Everth Cabrera will take his spot after being activated from the DL. Lane was a former outfielder converted into a pitcher. The Padres hope to get him back through waivers and send him to AAA.
- Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that the Kansas City Royals have interest in New York Mets starter Bartolo Colon and Philadelphia Phillies starter A.J. Burnett.
- The San Francisco Giants have DFA’d infielder Tony Abreu. Filling the roster spot will be Travis Ishikawaand Juan Perez. First basemen Adam Duvall will be optioned back to AAA.
- According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, righty Matt Cain will be going to see Dr. James Andrews on his continuous inflammation in his right elbow.
- Wendy Thurm of Fangraphs reports that the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals have reached litigation on the television broadcast fees of MASN.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Houston Astros are willing to deal their ace lefty Dallas Keuchel, righty Colin McHugh and Jarred Cosart.
- The Kansas City Royals have released lefty veteran Joe Saunders. Saunders will try to find work with his fourth organization of the year.
- Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the St.Louis Cardinals have officially released former Indians catcher George Kottaras. This move was made to create room for former Red Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski.
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com reports that Minnesota Twins reliever Matt Guerrier has cleared waivers but will elect free agency instead taking an assignment to AAA.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers have DFA’d lefty Scott Elbert. Elbert was currently rehabbing from Tommy Johnsurgery and has not pitched since 2012.
- According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Arizona Diamondbacks have been shopping outfielderGerardo Parra.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Philadelphia Phillies have not had any serious dialogue with any teams on lefty Cole Hamels.
July 30, 2014 - 2:41 PM EDT
Masterson for OF James Ramsey (AA), the Cards #6 prospect (#10 preseason) per http://www.stltoday.com/no-james-ramsey-outfielder/article_34031ca9-6eec-5e3a-8151-5a458c299d7e.html
July 30, 2014 - 2:16 PM EDT
Looks like Masterson has been traded to the Cardinals per Jordan Bastian.