Storylines: Machado gets five-game suspension
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, June 10th.
- Young Baltimore third baseman Manny Machado has been suspended by the league for five games following his antics over the weekend in a series against Oakland. Machado, who took offense to a "hard" tag put on him by A's third baseman Josh Donaldson, intentionally threw his bat into the field of play during an at-bat in Sunday's game, after a couple of inside pitches. He is appealing the suspension.
- Cleveland reached an agreement with second round pick, prep pitcher Garrett Hockin. The deal is above slot, worth $1.1 million in bonus money.
Others News and Notes
- Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com reported that the Diamondbacks have option waivers on pitcherTrevor Cahill, meaning that with Cahill's consent, the team can send him to the minors without the risk of other teams claiming him.
- Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press tweeted that Twins starter Mike Pelfrey had surgery on his right elbow to relieve pressure on his ulnar nerve and could miss anywhere from 2-4 months.
- According to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs have released veteran reliever Jose Veras.
- The Phillies agreed to a deal with their first round pick, former LSU pitcher Aaron Nola. The deal is for the slot value of around $3.3 million.
- The Rockies reached an agreement with their first round pick, pitcher Kyle Freeland out of the University of Evansville. Freeland's bonus is for approximately $2.5 million, which is significantly below the slot value of $3.19 million.
- Tampa Bay announced an at-slot deal with their first round pick, first baseman Casey Gillaspie out of Wichita State.
- Rangers infielder Jurickson Profar has hired the famous Scott Boras to be his agent.