Storylines: Machado is back on the DL with knee injury
- The season of unfortunate and crazy happenings continue for Baltimore Orioles third baseman Manny Machado. He missed the first month of the season as he was still recovering from a torn MPL to his his left knee last season. He then had to serve a five-game suspension in the beginning of July for throwing his bat unprofessionally against the Oakland Athletics. Now Machado finds himself back where he began as he sprained his right knee breaking his bat on a ground ball against the New York Yankees. He is eligible to return on the 27th, however it is highly unlikely. Machado was finally heating up at a crucial time during the season as his batting average went up eight points from .270 at the all-star break to .278 against the Yankees. He also had 12 home runs and 32 RBI. His presence will be missed in the 2-hole for the O’s.
- Zach Walters hit his first career walk-off homerun yesterday against the Arizona Diamondbacks in the first game of the double header. He went 2-4.
- Nick Swisher is going to seek a second opinion on his right knee.
- Michael Bourn will be activated off of the DL on Friday. Bourn has not played since July 5th against the Kansas City Royals.
Other News and Notes
- According to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com, Texas Rangers outfielder Alex Rios will likely not be dealt at all this season. He has been kept out of the lineup for the past few games due to ineffectiveness. Rios is hitting .293 with only 4 home runs and 46 RBI.
- Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Toronto Blue Jays have claimed lefty Colt Hynes off of waivers from the Dodgers. He was DFA’d on Sunday.
- The New York Yankees have DFA’d righty, Chris Leroux. This move opens up a spot for righty Michael Pineda, who has been on the DL since April.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates have DFA’d righty Wirfin Obispo. This move opens up a spot for catcher Ramon Cabrera, who the Pirates claimed off of waivers from the Detroit Tigers yesterday.
- According to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Cubs outfielder Nate Schierholtz has been placed on release waivers.
- The Los Angeles Angels have outright released righty, Caleb Clay.
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the MLB will elect a new commissioner sometime today. Bud Selig is retiring after this year.
- According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Texas Rangers righty Yu Darvish will be placed on the 15-day DL due to inflammation in his right elbow.
- Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Miami Marlins are going to try to extend the contract of outfielder,Giancarlo Stanton. There is constant speculation of Stanton possibly being traded.
- According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki will undergo season-ending hip surgery. He has not played since July 19th.
- Minnesota Twins top outfield prospect Byron Buxton, collided with right fielder Mike Kvasnicka and suffered a concussion in his AA debut last night. He was unconscious for 10 minutes and was finally taken to a local hospital.
The Tribe gets nothing in return, except a small savings on a move gone awry.
I mentioned him as a trade candidate a few days ago. Scott Atchison could be a target for a club looking for BP help. The Tribe has depth with arms like Adams and Price in AAA.