Storylines: Marte agrees to stay in Pittsburgh long-term
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, March 26th.
- The Pirates agreed to a six-year contract extension with up-and-coming outfielder Starling Marte. The deal will guarantee the 25-year-old Marte $31 million, and also includes two option years.
- Cleveland announced on Wednesday that Josh Tomlin would start the year in Triple-A Columbus, andCarlos Carrasco had won the final rotation spot. Manager Terry Francona also named Blake Wood andScott Atchison to the final two bullpen spots to round out the Opening Day 25-man roster.
- Francona also announced that Danny Salazar will be the team's fourth starter to begin the year, and will get the ball for the April 4th home opener against Minnesota.
- Justin Masterson finished off his great spring by throwing 5 2/3 innings of three-hit, one-run ball in a 10-3 Tribe victory over the Brewers. Masterson walked two and struck out five in his outing. Offensively, Nick Swisher, Jason Kipnis, Michael Brantley, and Lonnie Chisenhall each had two-hit games. Swisher and Chisenhall homered, while Kipnis and Brantley each drove in two runs.
Others News and Notes
- Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com tweeted that the Twins have "done their homework" on Stephen Drew. Wolfson said that it still does not look likely that Minnesota will sign Drew.
- The White Sox claimed reliever Javy Guerra off waivers from the Dodgers. Guerra owns a career 2.90 ERA in 102 1/3 innings and spent some time as the Dodgers closer in 2011.
- According to Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News-Tribune, the Mariners are looking for another starter after releasing Randy Wolf on Tuesday.
- The Nationals agreed to a Major League deal worth $900K with infielder Kevin Frandsen. Frandsen was granted his release from the Phillies on Tuesday.
- The Cardinals signed reliever David Aardsma to a Minor League deal. Aardsma spent most of the spring in camp with the Indians before being released by the team.
- The Rangers claimed utility infielder Donnie Murphy off waivers from the Cubs.
- Among those released on Wednesday are: Scott Diamond (Twins), Tommy Hanson (Rangers), George Kottaras (Cubs), Mark Lowe (Rays), Joe Blanton (Angels), and Matt Tuiasosopo (Blue Jays).
Should the Indians try to sign Hanson or Baker to minor league deals to add SP depth?
Marte, McCutchen and Polanco....could be one hell of an OF for the next few years...