Storylines: Masahiro Tanaka placed on 15-day DL
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, July 9.
- For most of the year Masahiro Tanaka has been dominating hitters from every team. He has been unhittable at times and has looked like the AL’s Cy Young with each game. In 18 starts he is 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA and 135 strikeouts. That is second to Tribe pitcher Corey Kluber at 137. However he only seemed average against the Indians yesterday. Tanaka had his worst outing of the season giving up five earned runs on 10 hits and he only lasted 6.2 innings. It was found out after the game that he had discomfort in his right elbow which later turned out to be inflammation. According to catcher Brian McCann, he showed no signs of injury while on the mound. Tanaka would be the fifth member of the New York Yankees placed on the DL this year. Outfielder Zoilo Almonte has been called up to take his spot and will start tonight.
- Zach McAllister will get the start Saturday against the Chicago White Sox. This comes a day after Justin Masterson was placed on the 15-day DL. He is just recently coming off of a back injury.
- Make sure to vote for Corey Kluber by going on twitter and putting #VoteKluber or by voting on MLB.com. Thursday is the last day to vote.
Other News and Notes
- The St. Louis Cardinals and Atlanta Braves have strong interest in trading for Boston Red Sox righty, Jake Peavy.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports, the Boston Red Sox have DFA catcher A.J. Pierzynski. In 72 games he has a .254 batting average with only four home runs and 31 RBI. AAA catcher Christan Vazquez will the spot by Pierzynski and will back up David Ross.
- Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports that the Boston Red Sox are in “conversations” with Jon Lester’s agent on a possible long term deal. Lester is a free agent at the end of the season.
- Shortstop will be one of the most available positions for teams as the trading deadline approaches. It is headlined by Troy Tulowitzki and Jimmy Rollins.
- The Texas Rangers have DFA utility man, Donnie Murphy. In 45 games Murphy hit only .196 with four home runs and 14 RBI. Righty pitcher Roman Mendez has been recalled to take Murphy’s spot.
- According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Pittsburgh Pirates have released righty pitcher Duke Welker. He underwent Tommy John surgery last month. Infielder Matt Hague will take his spot on the 40 man roster.
July 10, 2014 - 12:22 PM EDT
Also noticed that former Indian shortstop Tom Veryzer passed away on Tuesday......RIP