Storylines: Mets lose their closer to injury
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, April 1st.
- The Mets announced that closer Bobby Parnell has suffered a complete tear of his medial collateral ligament in his throwing elbow. The Mets will try platelet-rich plasma injections, but surgery still remains a likely outcome. Jose Valverde will step into the closer's role for the time being.
- According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, the Nationals will be without catcher Wilson Ramos for four to eight weeks after his likely procedure to repair an injury to his left hamate bone. Ramos was expected to play a major role for Washington this season and was slotted into the cleanup spot in the team's Opening Day game.
- The Indians had their game against Oakland Tuesday night postponed due to rain. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Wednesday. The first game will start at 3:35 PM Eastern time, with the second following at 9:35 PM. This is the first rainout in Oakland since 1998.
Others News and Notes
- Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reported that while it is not known where talks currently stand, the Dodgers and shortstop Hanley Ramirez are still discussing a contract extension.
- MLBDailyDish.com reported that Dodgers reliever Brian Wilson has been put on the DL with elbow irritation.
- Chase Headley told Corey Brock of MLB.com that he's trying not to think about the fact that this could be his last season in San Diego, although he did admit that it is a possibility.
- The Diamondbacks are losing another key arm to Tommy John surgery, as reliever David Hernandez will undergo the surgery and miss the 2014 season.
- The Cubs agreed to a Minor League deal with veteran pitcher Joel Pineiro. The 35-year-old righty has not appeared in the Majors since 2011. He will report to Triple-A Iowa after a brief stint in extended Spring Training.
- Shortstop Eduardo Nunez was designated for assignment by the Yankees in order to make room for fellow infielder Yangervis Solarte on the 40-man roster. Nunez was once seen as the eventual replacement forDerek Jeter.
- After just being claimed by the Rangers on Friday, catcher Chris Gimenez has already been designated for assignment by the team. The move was made to clear a 40-man spot for reliever Daniel McCutchen.