Storylines: Oakland is looking for pitching help
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Saturday, May 3rd.
- Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicled reported that the A’s are likely to try to trade for a starter. Slusser also noted that one option could be stretching out Drew Pomeranz, who has been pitching from the Oakland bullpen.
- Cleveland placed Yan Gomes on the paternity list and promoted catcher George Kottaras and lefty Nick Hagadone from Triple-A Columbus. Utility man Elliot Johnson was designated for assignment.
- Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that Kottaras is likely to be designated for assignment once Gomes returns from the paternity list.
- The Indians also announced that Josh Tomlin will start on Tuesday and move into the rotation.
News and Notes
- Toronto was forced to place pitcher Brandon Morrow on the 60-day disabled list after discovering that the injury to his right index finger was actually a torn tendon sheath. To replace Morrow in the rotation, the Blue Jays have called up one of their top pitching prospects Marcus Stroman.
- Chicago centerfielder Adam Eaton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a hamstring injury. The White Sox also claimed outfielder Moises Sierra off waivers from the Blue Jays.
- The Yankees designated pitcher Chris Leroux for assignment to make room on the roster for fellow pitcherAlfredo Aceves.
- The Angels promoted first base prospect C.J. Cron, who was rated by Baseball America as Los Angeles’ second best prospect. Pitcher Yoslan Herrara was outrighted to Triple-A to clear room on the roster for Cron.
- Reliever Adam Russell agreed to a Minor League deal with the Reds. Cincinnati also designated outfielderRoger Bernadina for assignment.
- San Diego acquired Minor League shortstop Benji Gonzalez from the Pirates for cash or a player to be named later.