Storylines: Odd injury lands Dodger prospect on DL
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, May 21.
- Due to the need to have Josh Tomlin pitch in Wednesday's 13-inning victory, the Indians will need to find a new starter for Thursday's game in Baltimore. Manager Terry Francona has yet to decide who will get the start, as of late Wednesday night.
- Former Indian, and current special assistant to baseball operations for Cleveland, Charles Nagy will represent the team at the June First-Year Player Draft.
Others News and Notes
- Dodgers' Minor League infielder Alex Guerrero could miss up to five weeks after having part of his ear bitten off in an altercation with Triple-A teammate Miguel Olivo. Yes, you read that right.
- Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reported that the while the Mets were never all that interested in Stephen Drew, the team does still hope to acquire a young shortstop for the future. Martino listed Brad Miller and Nick Franklin of the Mariners as possible trade options.
- Ken Gurnick of MLB.com wrote that Dodgers' third baseman Juan Uribe could be heading to the 15-day disabled list, making the Guerrero injury even more significant.
- Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reported that if new Diamondbacks' Chief Baseball Officer Tony La Russa decides to hire a new manager, a potential target could be current White Sox' third base coach Joe McEwing, who has a long history with La Russa.
- Starter Felix Doubront of the Red Sox has been placed on the 15-day disabled list after experiencing numbness in his pitching shoulder throughout his last start.
- The Rangers optioned catcher J.P. Arencibia to Triple-A Round Rock and recalled fellow catcher, and former Indian, Chris Gimenez.