Storylines: Potential top-5 pick done for season
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, May 7th.
- Jeff Hoffman of East Carolina University, a projected top-five pick in June's draft, is schedueld to undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the remainder of the season. Hoffman was originally shut down for what was thought to be swelling in his elbow, but doctors discovered a small tear and recommended surgery.
- Manager Terry Francona noted that Michael Bourn feels like he is ready to return to the lineup for Thursday afternoon's game. Bourn passed his tests on his injured left hamstring on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Others News and Notes
- The Orioles received some good news on Wednesday, learning that All-Star catcher Matt Wieters will not need surgery on his injured arm. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reported that the injury may have been preexisting, and that Wieters could have suffered it when he was pitching in college and just re-aggravated it. Connolly added that Wieters will not catch for a while but can still DH.
- The Mets announced that they will designate veteran shortstop Omar Quintanilla for assignment. According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, the feeling is that the Mets will recall infield prospect Wilmer Flores.
- Minnesota will purchase to contract of veteran reliever Matt Guerrier from Triple-A Rochester. To make room on the active roster for Guerrier, the Twins will send down lefty Logan Darnell.
The Tribe has multiple pks with a considerable draft pool space giving them a great opportunity to land a talented arm IF he's there when they pick.
Got to be honest here, I'm more interested in what the Tribe will be doing draft day than the Browns. I'm just hoping to be able to catch the Tribes draft. I'll be moving that week to NW PA, I'm excited to get back where I belong.
If was me I would let Hoffman slide to the Tigers.