Storylines: Rangers could look to Morales in wake of Fielder injury
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Saturday, May 24th.
- Asdrubal Cabrera will likely miss another game or two, as he waits for his knee and big toe to heal. Nick Swisher, who is also resting due to a knee injury, is expected to play on Sunday.
- The Indians released Minor League lefty reliever Mike Zagurski after he decided to opt out of his contract before the June 1st deadline.
Others News and Notes
- Due to the injury to Prince Fielder, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that the Rangers could pursue free agent first baseman Kendrys Morales.
- Rosenthal also indicated that even if the Phillies continue to fall out of contention, they are unlikely to try to trade second baseman Chase Utley.
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today wrote that with Tony La Russa now in charge, the Diamondbacks are unlikely to keep manager Kirk Gibson.
- Baltimore traded lefty reliever Troy Patton to San Diego in exchange for catcher Nick Hundley and cash considerations. The Orioles also promoted utility man Steve Lombardozzi from Triple-A.
- Toronto outrighted pitcher Esmil Rogers to Triple-A Buffalo. The Blue Jays designated Rogers for assignment on Friday.
That's true, they could have had Rogers back. Obviously, it has worked out well - for the Tribe.