Storylines: Rays' Moore to get second opinion on injured elbow
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, April 8th.
- Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reported that the injury that caused Rays starter Matt Moore to leave his start on Monday is a UCL injury. Moore will seek a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews. UCL injuries are most commonly associated with Tommy John surgery.
- Giants general manager Brian Sabean told Jim Kozimor of Yahoo Sports Talk Live that the team and third baseman Pablo Sandoval have tabled their contract extension discussions. Sandoval, who will be a free agent after this season, is said to be looking for a five-year deal.
- Manager Terry Francona confirmed that Trevor Bauer will get the start in the second game of Cleveland's doubleheader on Wednesday.
- After his rough start on Sunday, Tribe pitcher Justin Masterson said the reason his fastball was routinely only in the upper-80s was because he was trying to take something off of it in order to find the strike zone. Pitching coach Mickey Callaway said a mechanical issue is also to blame for Masterson's diminished velocity.
- Reliever Frank Herrmann cleared waivers and was re-assigned to Triple-A Columbus.
Others News and Notes
- Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis will undergo surgery on his left knee to repair a torn meniscus. According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, the injury is expected to keep Ellis out for 4-6 weeks.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote that the Yankees aren't expected to seek out help in the trade or free agent market to replace injured players Mark Teixeira and David Robertson. Rosenthal noted that New York believes both injuries will be short-lived.
- Washington third baseman Ryan Zimmerman's ailing shoulder required an MRI over the weekend, but it revealed no structural damage. Zimmerman's shoulder pain has caused him to completely change the way he throws the ball.
- Angels pitcher Brian Moran will undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the 2014 season. Moran was a Rule 5 selection by the Blue Jays out of the Mariners organization, and was then dealt to the Angels.
Since the 1980's the use of bullpens are really taking inning loads off of pitchers. So guys just aren't going as deep in games but pitchers are getting hurt more now. Plus in the '60's and before teams went with more 4 man rotations. It's crazy.