Storylines: Samardzija rejects latest offer from Cubs
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, June 18.
- Cleveland activated starter Zach McAllister from the 15-day DL on Wednesday. To make room for McAllister on the active roster, the Indians designated lefty reliever Josh Outman for assignment. Outman came to Cleveland from Colorado over the winter in the Drew Stubbs trade.
News and Notes
- Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweeted that Jeff Samardzija recently turned down a five-year contract extension offer from the Cubs worth more than $85 million.
- Even though the Cubs are still trying to sign Samardzija to a contract extension, they are still making it known to clubs that the righty is available, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times.
- Multiple sources from around the league indicated that several teams were at Samardzija’s start on Tuesday night. The teams mentioned were the Blue Jays, Giants, Royals, Angels, Reds and the Indians.
- If the Rays decide to trade ace David Price, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com believes the five most likely teams to try to trade for him are the Angels, Blue Jays, White Sox, Yankees and Braves.
- Diamonbacks starter Bronson Arroyo has been placed on the disabled list for the first time in his career with a UCL sprain in his right elbow.
- The Marlins agreed to a Minor League deal with veteran pitcher Brad Penny. Randy Wolf, who was recently released by the team, has cleared waivers and is now a free agent.
- Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reported that the Marlins are open to dealing for rotation help, but will first look at internal candidates.
- Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland will undergo season-ending ankle surgery next Monday.
- Seattle agreed to an over-slot deal with their first round pick, prep catcher/outfielder Alex Jackson.
- The Red Sox released Grady Sizemore outright in order to allow him to pursue other opportunities.
- Detroit designated reliever Evan Reed for assignment and gave fellow pitcher Chad Smith his first big league call-up.
- MLB Trade Rumors reported that pitcher Dustin Mosely will work out for teams soon after missing most of 2012 and all of 2013 with a shoulder injury.