Storylines: Sigh of relief for Tigers, Verlander
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, Aug. 12.
- According to Detroit manager Brad Ausmus, the MRI on Justin Verlander's sore right shoulder showed no major structural damage. Ausmus said that minor inflammation was detected, and it will require some rest, but a DL stint is not seen as necessary at this time.
- Jordan Bastian of MLB.com tweeted that an MRI has confirmed that outfielder David Murphy has a strained right oblique and will miss 4-5 weeks.
- Bastian also tweeted that the Indians are still gathering information and opinions on Nick Swisher's lingering knee issues that have landed him on the 15-day DL.
Others News and Notes
- Cincinnati designated outfielder Ryan LaMarre for assignment. The move was made to clear a 40-man roster spot for recently-signed Cuban pitcher Raisel Iglesias, who received his visa over the weekend.
- The Rockies signed 32-year-old righty Josh Roenicke to a Minor League deal and assigned him to Triple-A Colorado Springs. Roenicke, the son of Brewers manager Ron Roenicke, has spent the majority of the 2014 season in the Nationals organization.
- Toronto designated lefty starter Brad Mills for assignment. Though he struggled in his time with the Blue Jays, Mills owns a 1.81 ERA with a 9.0 K/9 against 1.9 BB/9 over 89 1/3 innings at the Triple-A level this season.
Anyone heard if the Tribe has placed any other players on revocable waivers? I wouldn't be surprised to see John Axford or even Scott Atchison dealt before Sept.