Storylines: Suspensions handed down after Sunday's brawl
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, April 22nd.
- Buster Olney of ESPN reported that Brewers' catcher Martin Maldonado will be suspended five games and fined $2,500 for his role in Sunday's bench clearing brawl with the Pirates. Maldonado punched Pittsburgh outfielder Travis Snider, who was suspended for two games. Carlos Gomez, who was at the center of the controversy, was suspended three games. Pirates' catcher Russell Martinreceived a one-game suspension.
- Manager Terry Francona said that he plans on giving Carlos Carrasco every chance to realize his potential as a starter. Francona did say that if the club feels Carrasco would help the team more in the bullpen, they would explore a move.
Others News and Notes
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com tweeted that free agent reliever Joel Hanrahan has already received a "few" offers from teams, but he is not close to signing.
- According to Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Padres are engaged in active trade talks regarding their catcher Nick Hundley.
- The Yankees announced on Tuesday that a second opinion confirmed that starter Ivan Nova has a torn UCL, and team physician Chris Ahmad has recommended Tommy John surgery.
- Tigers outfielder Torii Hunter told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that he feels he could play another two to three years, but it will be a matter of whether he wants to do so or not.
- Atlanta traded infielder Tyler Greene to San Diego for a player to be named later.
- Rosenthal also reported that Cuban outfielder Daniel Carbonell has been declared a Major League free agent.
- Also from Chris Cotillo – free agent righty Brad Penny will work out for multiple teams in Kansas City this week.
- The Twins acquired infielder Eduardo Nunez from the Yankees and outfielder Sam Fuld off waivers from the A's recently in an attempt to add some bench depth, and Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press says the club is still actively looking for more bench help.
- According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, the Mets have not yet decided if they will make an offer to Hanrahan.
- The Blue Jays have claimed outfielder Darin Mastroianni off waivers from the Twins and designated fellow outfielder Kenny Wilson for assignment.
- Oakland claimed infielder Andy Parrino off waivers from the Rangers and assigned him to Triple-A Sacramento.
- The Orioles designated outfielder Steve Pierce for assignment.
- Hector Noesi was designated for assignment by the Rangers, ten days after he was acquired by Texas from Seattle.