Storylines: Swisher, Santana placed on DL
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, May 27th.
- Cleveland placed first baseman Nick Swisher on the 15-day disabled list due to a hyperextended left knee. Third baseman/catcher Carlos Santana was also placed on the disabled list (7-day) for a concussion. Slugger Jesus Aguilar was recalled from Triple-A Columbus, and the Indians also purchased the contract of catcher George Kottaras. To make room for Kottaras on the 40-man roster, reliever Blake Wood was designated for assignment.
- Jason Kipnis rejoined Cleveland on Tuesday, but he won't be officially activated from the disabled listed until Wednesday.
Others News and Notes
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote that the middle infield depth in the Rangers' farm system may lead them to listen to offers to Elvis Andrus this summer.
- Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reported that he heard from an industry source that the Red Sox are exploring the trade market for center fielders, though no move seems imminent.
- The Reds signed hard-throwing reliever Carlos Marmol to a Minor League deal.
- The Mariners agreed to sign veteran outfielder Xavier Nady. The deal is believed to be a Minor League contract.
- Toronto signed lefty reliever Mike Zagurski to a Minor League deal. Zagurski opted out of his Minor League deal with the Indians on Saturday.
I mean, don't get me wrong, Shark and Kluber would look mighty fan a top the Tribe rotation. But it'll cost Salazar plus a lot more than what you mentioned (can't trade multiple top 100 picks either).
or.. they could just oxidize... i.e. get rusty...