Storylines: What do the Rays want for Price?
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, June 8th.
- Terry Francona said that Zach McAllister will make another rehab start, this time for Triple-A Columbus, on Tuesday and that the starter could then rejoin the team next weekend in Boston.
News and Notes
- According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Rays want at least three top players in return for star pitcher David Price, and if they can’t get that package this summer, they will wait until the offseason.
- Cafardo also said that a Marlins official told him he doesn’t see any reason why the team wouldn’t add another player in a trade, due to the wide open NL East.
- Also from Cafardo, if the Rockies continue to slide, Michael Cuddyer could be dealt this summer.
- Texas has now lost first baseman Mitch Moreland for at least three months after the lefty underwent ankle reconstructive surgery.
- To make room for newly signed Kendrys Morales, the Twins have designated Jason Kubel for assignment.
- Former All-Star closer Heath Bell has opted out of his Minor League deal with the Orioles and is now a free agent.
- The Yankees outrighted pitcher Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre.
Price is 28yo and has a career 3.26 ERA and 1.16 WHIP
Kazmir is 30yo and has a career 4.03 ERA and 1.37 WHIP
Maybe "about the same money", but nowhere near close the same talent level. If anything, it demonstrates that 1.5 seasons of Price for 21-23mil is a bargain.
And above all, this is about a postseason push. Nobody would take Kazmir over Price in a PO series
Price, Kluber, Masterson, Bauer, Tomlin with McAllister, Salazar as depth the rest of this season sounds good to me. Even losing Masty for 2015 wouldn't hurt as much.
If they're serious about contending the next two seasons, this is the kind of deal that needs to be made, Trading for a high-end LHP arm for the postseason