Storylines: White Sox lose Abreu to injury
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Saturday, May 18th.
- The White Sox placed first baseman Jose Abreu on the 15-day disabled list with posterior tibial tendinitis in his left ankle. Abreu will also undergo further tests and possibly another MRI.
- Starter Gio Gonzalez was placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Nationals with shoulder inflammation. An MRI showed that there was no further damage to the shoulder and all Gonzalez will need is rest.
News and Notes
- Texas first baseman Prince Fielder had to get a nerve-root injection for a herniated disc in his neck.
- According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Giants discussed the idea of hiring Tony LaRussa, but the team didn’t see a fit.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe wrote that teams that missed out on Masahiro Tanaka this past offseason may look to bid on Hiroshima Toyo Carp star Kenta Maeda.
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com tweeted that the Cardinals are close to a Minor-League deal with lefty reliever Pedro Feliciano.
- The A’s claimed veteran lefty Jeff Francis off waivers from the Reds.