Storylines: Yankees add McCarthy, subtract Soriano
New York designated Alfonso Soriano for assignment to make room for the righty
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, July 7th.
- The Yankees have acquired starter Brandon McCarthy from the Diamondbacks in exchange for starter Vidal Nuno. Arizona will eat just over $2 million of the $4.1 million owed to McCarthy this season.
- In a somewhat surprising move, the Yankees designated Alfonso Soriano for assignment to make room on the roster for the newly acquired McCarthy. Marly Rivera of ESPN Deportes tweeted that Soriano will now consider retirement.
- Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote that the Indians talked to the Cubs about trading for Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel, but it would have cost the Tribe Francisco Lindor, Tyler Naquin, and Danny Salazar.
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com tweeted that Indians scouts have been focused on Rays Minor Leaguers lately, and he believes a trade could be in the works; although he does not who the trade would be for.
- Michael Brantley was named to his first All-Star game as a reserve outfielder, and starter Corey Kluber was named to the Final Vote for the last spot on the AL roster.
News and Notes
- Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reported that the Rays may now be willing to listen to offers from division rivals for David Price.
- Morosi also tweeted that the Blue Jays and Padres continue to talk about a possible deal involving Chase Headley.
- According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Red Sox have been receiving trade interest in third baseman Will Middlebrooks, but the team seems reluctant to deal him.
- Houston and Arizona completed a minor trade, as the Astros sent pitcher Alex Sogard to the Diamondbacks for infielder Cesar Carrasco.
- Nick Piecoro of Arizona Republic reported that Diamondbacks’ general manager Kevin Towers plans on being active before the trade deadline this sumer.
- The Royals have signed lefty reliever Scott Downs, who was recently released by the White Sox.
- Toronto has claimed outfielder Nolan Reimold off waivers from the Orioles. The Blue Jays also designated outfielder Brad Glenn for assignment to make room on the active roster for outfielder Cole Gillespie and on the 40-man roster for Reimold.
- Baltimore designated reliever Ramon Ramirez for assignment to clear room on their roster for pitching prospect Kevin Gausman.