Storylines: Yost's job safe for now
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Saturday, May 31st.
- Terry Francona said that Carlos Santana has been feeling much better after suffering a concussion, but the team will still be cautious with him and there is no timetable for his return.
Others News and Notes
- According to Jeffrey Flanagan of FOX Sports Kansas City, Royals general manager Dayton Moore is taking the blame for the club's slow start. Moore also indicated that manager Ned Yost is not on the hot seat.
- While examining the summer trade market, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote that the Marlins and White Sox could both be buyers, and the Rays could deal some of their veterans.
- Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com reported that the Twins are showing interest in St. Louis outfielder Jon Jay.
- The Mets have sent highly regarded pitching prospect Rafael Montero back to Triple-A after he made four starts for New York.
- MLB.com's Scott Merkin wrote that the White Sox' plan for next week's draft is to take the best player available at third overall, no matter who his agent is.
- David Hall of the Virginian-Pilot tweeted that reliever Heath Bell plans to opt-out of his Minor League deal with the Orioles next week if he is not promoted to Baltimore.
- Veteran reliever Luis Ayala has opted out of his contract with Orioles and is now a free agent.
- The Angels promoted pitcher Jarrett Grube to the big league club and designated fellow pitcher Wade LeBlanc for assignment.
- Miami signed 18-year-old Colombian righty Cristian Olmos, who is 6'2", 180 pounds and has been clocked in the mid-90s.
- The Braves designated Minor League pitcher Wirfin Obispo for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for recent call-up pitcher Shae Simmons.