Storylines: Zimmerman out with thumb injury
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Saturday, April 12th.
- Nationals' third baseman Ryan Zimmerman left Saturday night's game against Atlanta with a fractured right thumb. Zimmerman is expected to miss four to six weeks.
- Carlos Carrasco's next start will be pushed back to next Saturday against Toronto. In the meantime, Carrasco will be available out of the bullpen.
- Nyjer Morgan made it known that he realizes he is just "holding down the fort" until Michael Bourn returns from injury. Morgan said he is fine with any role he has with the team moving forward.
Others News and Notes
- The Cardinals announced that they have extended the contract of general manager John Mozeliak an extra two years through the 2018 season.
- Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports tweeted that the Red Sox most recent contract extension offer to Jon Lester was for four years and $70 million. Lester told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he is not ruling out the possibility of him still remaining with Boston long-term.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote that he believes the Pirates could go after Stephen Drew or Kendrys Morales after June, when the team will no longer have to forfeit a draft pick in order to sign them.
- Outfielder Sam Fuld was designated for assignment by the Athletics to clear space for outfielder Craig Gentry, who was activated from the disabled list.
- The Rangers acquired pitcher Hector Noesi from the Mariners in exchange for cash.