Welcome to the new Indians Prospect Insider
As you can see the new Indians Prospect Insider site has launched.
It looks fairly similar to the old site with the layout; something I felt was important so as to not be such a drastic change which in turn will make it easier to get used to. But you will also notice lots of different things, most of which I have noted below:
- The most noticeable change on the front page is the new slider feature; something which I believe gives the site a big boost both in presentation and usability. The most recent featured articles will be showcased here, though with the new setup – as I will explain below – not all new articles will be displayed here.
- The other noticeable change is the login box in the upper right-hand corner. This is obviously the most dramatic change to the site as specific articles will now require a subscription. As I noted two weeks ago, most of the articles on the site will still be free, but all the scouting reports, Minor Happenings articles, most of the draft signing updates, and any other articles providing firsthand information will require a subscription.
- One of my favorite changes is the new author listing. On the old site it was often hard to distinguish who wrote certain articles, and most of the time people assumed it was always me. With the new author listing you can clearly see who wrote the article and now you can click on the author in the article to go right to their bio page and get a history or their previous articles. Also, a new author listing showing all the IPI contributors is at the top of the page.
- Another change that I think people will like is the “Teams” listing below the site header. What is great about this is each team now has its own team page within the IPI. For example, if you want to see articles specific only to the Columbus Clippers, you choose them in the “Teams” listing and you will go to their page that has all of their info along the top and then the most recent articles pertaining to them. When the season approaches, I will likely post individual game reports for each team only to their respective team pages (not on the home page).
- The remaining look of the navigation bar (the list of links below the site header) should look familiar, though another big change to the site is the “Rumors” listing. When you click on this you will be taken to a page that will feed any recent rumors or articles that have Indians related rumors for trades and signings. This will begin to be updated with the new site launch and most of the posts listed here will NOT post on the site homepage. Most will be small 4-6 sentence write-ups with a link to the source of the rumor and a brief write-up with thoughts on the rumor. If you are familiar with Rotoworld, CBS Sports, and other fantasy related sites, this is similar to how the IPI “Rumors” area will work where it will have a brief mention of the original source and a brief opinion following it. This will be great for following offseason news, trade deadline news, draft signings, and so on. Some of the bigger rumors may be bumped to the front page. The postings within the “Rumors” page will be free, though those where I am the source will likely require a subscription to read.
- Finally, some other minor changes to the site are the article layout on the home page as it is now in a two column setup with the most recent at the top which allows for a tighter homepage. Also, the labels/tags have been completely removed and simplified to where articles are categorized by 20-25 different tags, which should allow for easier viewing of certain article types. To find articles on a specific player or team, you simply just use the search box at the top of the site.
- More changes will come in time as I have a lot of ideas that I want to incorporate soon - things like a site scoreboard - so this is simply the foundation to hopefully bigger and better things down the road. To those that use the message board, a new updated board will be coming very soon (your old board logins should carry over).
- It should be noted that the site is not completely done as I am still cleaning up some bad links and such, so if you run into a link that is a dead end or does not work please be patient as it should be fixed soon. Also there are bound to be a few issues in the short term that will need to be addressed as they come up. Also, since I removed all the old tags to 3500+ articles, I am in the process of going through all of them and re-tagging them and also have to add the author to them (something that will take time to complete). I have everything going back almost three months correctly tagged and aligned to the right author.
- Please feel free to contact me with any thoughts and suggestions – good or bad. I will carefully review and consider anything submitted.
- Last, with the launch of the new site, the 2012 Indians Top 50 Prospect countdown should (finally) officially commence tomorrow!
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.
Joseph, I see that you have a registered account, but have yet to setup a subscription so the payment detail may not have worked for you. We are working out a few bugs with that as I know some people that use Google Chrome and other browsers outside of Internet Explorer had problems today, but those problems should now be fixed. Go ahead and try again and if it persists email me so I can nail it down since if you are still having trouble I am sure others are as well. Thanks again for the support.
I had trouble getting my account set up. I entered all the data for my debit card, but it was not accapted. Maybe it was, but I couldnt get it to work