Winter Meetings Update: Youkilis targeted? Cabrera gone?
Here are some quick notes and news bits connected to the Indians coming out of Nashville in day two of the winter meetings today. I will have a much more thorough update on all of this and more in my Winter Meetings daily recap piece later this afternoon:
- Per Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Indians almost dealt shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera last night. Reportedly, they had the framework of a deal in place where they would receive a Major League pitcher and two high-end prospects in exchange for Cabrera, but the deal fell apart when they required a third prospect (fourth player) be included in the deal.
- Right-hander Roberto Hernandez is getting some interest around the league on a one year deal, and the Indians are one of the five teams looking at him.
- The Nationals signed right-hander Dan Haren for one year $13 million. He is a player the Indians had considerable interest in signing because of the short length of his deal.
- Right-handed pitcher Edwin Jackson is a pitcher the Indians have been connected to this offseason. He is someone that some in the organization really like because of his consistent performance and durability over his career.
- First baseman/third baseman Kevin Youkilis is looking for a two year deal and the Indians are considered to be one of his top suitors.
- Left-hander Scott Kazmir has multiple teams looking at him, and the Indians are expected to be one of those teams. He is a reclamation project but is garnering interest this offseason because he looks healthy pitching winter ball and could be a depth starting option for teams.
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.